New data shared by analytics firm GfK shows the 30 best-selling video game brands in UK history. Electronic Arts tops the list, thanks to its Fifa series.
GfK has been tracking UK canned sales since 1995. Over the past 27 years, these top 30 gaming IPs have generated $34 billion in total revenue (via GamesIndustry.biz).
Top 10 video game brands by UK revenue
- Fifa (EA) — 50 titles since 1993
- Call of Duty (Activision Blizzard) — 32 titles since 2003
- mario (Nintendo) — 109 titles since 1987
- Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar) — 21 tracks since 1997
- Lego (Warner/Lucas/TT Games/Eidos) — 77 titles since 1997
- star wars (EA/LucasArts/Warner) — 113 titles since 1983
- The Sims (EA) — 106 titles since 2000
- Pokemon (Nintendo) — 93 titles since 1999
- Assassin’s Creed (Ubisoft) — 27 titles since 2007
- Need of speed (EA) — 30 titles since 1994
Electronic Arts is a clear leader in the rankings, being listed as the publisher of nine video game franchises in the top 30, including Fifa, Need of speed, Battlefieldand The Sims. It is followed by Nintendo (5), Warner (5), Sony (4) and Activision Blizzard (3).
Fifa, of course, is the number one brand in the UK, given its annualized schedule and the popularity of football in the country. franchises like Call of Duty and mario unsurprisingly makes the top 3.
Rockstar is in fourth place, thanks to the Grand Theft Auto Series. However, the studio owes much of this success to GTA Vwhich accounts for 40% of the franchise’s overall canned sales in the UK.